Tuesday, November 22, 2011

my most time consuming project thus far

The I-Spy Quilt

I first started this quilt back in May.  6 months later and it's finally completed!!!  I blogged about it here once I had the front finish, but I still had a long way to go at that point. 

As I mentioned before, I followed Obsessively Stitching's tutorial to do the front of the quilt (a disappearing 9 patch).  I followed my Aunt's advice for taping the front down to the floor, layering, pinning, and trimming.  I decided on my own that I wanted to use an "s" stitch "in the ditch" (I have no idea if the stitch I used it actually called an "S" stitch, and I'm not quite sure if what I actually did is considered "in the ditch"....but just go with it).  Of course my machine didn't have the "s" stitch.  Nor did the amazing machine I'm borrowing from a friend.  I had to borrow another sewing machine just to get what I wanted!!  I followed the guidance of my Aunt to do the binding, and viola - a finished quilt!!!  I'm really very pleased with it, and my children enjoy playing with it. 

It's funny because the whole time I was making it I kept saying I will never make another quilt - that they are too tedious and time consuming.  But wouldn't you know, now that I'm done with the one, I want to do another.  Eeeek.

So, here she is in all her glory:

Here's a small glimpse of the back:

 A close up of a square, and the stitch I used:

"Hey Trent, show me the dog that looks like Maggie":

and in case anyone was wondering: it's approximately crib size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment