Monday, September 5, 2011

AIO cloth diaper

I mentioned in a previous post that we use cloth diapers.  I originally bought 2 dozen bum genius 3.0 pocket diapers from

Now that I sew constantly I decided to make one of my own.  Not because I need another one.  Just because I wanted to.  I used this pattern and tutorial.

I used a fun gender neutral polka dot PUL fabric for the outside, along with pearlized snaps.  The inner liner is micro suede.  The soaker pad is 2 layers of cotton flannel and 2 layers of terry. 

It's the only all-in-one cloth diaper I've used since Claire was a tiny newborn, so it's different from what I'm used to.  It's nice to not have to stuff a diaper!  And while I hated purchasing ($$) the snaps, and they weren't super easy to install (though not terribly difficult either), Claire is going through a phase where she tears her diaper off any chance she gets, but she can't undo the snaps!!  It's been coming clean no problem and I don't have any stink issues with it. 

The only 2 downfalls I've noticed is that there's no elastic at the waist in the back.  That's not a huge issue for us, but if I was using this diaper on a younger baby I would be seriously worried about blow-outs.  Second, the PUL isn't holding up very well in the dryer. 

If I ever make another cloth diaper I will be sure to add elastic to the waist and I would line dry (which I should really be doing right now anyway!).

Overall I am extremely happy with my diaper!!!  If my Joann Fabrics had a better selection of printed PUL fabric I would probably be going overboard crazy making diapers that I don't actually need.

No comments:

Post a Comment