Sunday, October 9, 2011

the cutest jacket ever

Claire's godmother bought us this pattern from Etsy seller kitschycookids.  It's for an asymmetrical, reversible jacket!  I was extremely excited to get started but had to have the perfect fabric.  I checked out the fabric store three different times before spotting an argyle corduroy that I couldn't resist.  I paired it with a solid gray corduroy.  The only other thing I had to buy was a button kit that allows you to cover buttons with whatever fabric you want.

It really didn't take very long to make this jacket at all.  I was actually kind of surprised how quick it was to make.  I was extremely happy with the directions that came with the tutorial - very easy to understand and follow.  And of course I'm thrilled with the end product.  It's absolutely fabulous!  The moment I saw the pattern online I wished she made it in my size!  I also knew from the beginning that I will be making a few of this jacket over the years, using different fabrics depending on the season.  The pattern came with 2 different sizes; 18/24 month and 3/4T, so that will get me through the next few years.  If I'm not tired of this style after she's 4, I can purchase a larger sized pattern from the same seller that will get Claire thru 8T ;-)





I made this jacket using the 18/24 month pattern and, unfortunately, it's too big.  Claire is a petite 18 month old.  I couldn't wait to make this jacket so that she could wear it right away - and all throughout fall - and now I have to wait until next year. 











I'm thinking about putting this one in the closet and attempting to alter the pattern to make a jacket that will fit her NOW.  I'm not very experienced with altering and sizing patterns, so I'm a little nervous, but how hard could it be? 

No seriously, does anyone know how hard it is?

4 comments:

  1. I'll say this:

    1. I have no experience with patterns, so won't be answering your question.
    2. I was semi-stalking your etsy account the other day (I saw the link at the top of your blog and thought I'd check it out) and saw the 'shop favorites' or something and saw this jackets and thought it was soooo cute... and then tried to find a pattern for my size. lol. so such luck. When you figure out how to make things different sizes, you should experiment with making this larger.... and then make me one. lol
    3. love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it looks too too big. But here's a Burda post on how to size up and size down patterns. It doesn't seem too hard.
    http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/make-a-pattern-larger-or-smaller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternately, here is another blog post about sizing up/down patterns.
    http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow thanks Adrienne! So helpful!

    ReplyDelete